Product Lead, PicnicHealth
PicnicHealth works directly with patients to make their medical records easy to access, using this data and machine learning to power the next frontier of medical research.
May 2017-June 2021
Director of Product Management, Alegion
Alegion is an ML-powered data annotation platform used by high-end data science teams to handle the most demanding and specific labeling needs for deep learning and other AI use cases. I’ve helped the company grow from 8 FTEs to over 80, in a challenging emerging market. I lead an international team of product managers in Austin and Kuala Lumpur.
- Grew our video product from $0 to over 50% of company bookings and our main advantage.
- Unblocked innovation at scale by creating the Scalable Decision Architecture, a product strategy framework.
- Conceived and executed a new product to retain our largest customer, leading to an annual renewal, increased customer satisfaction, and firsthand product discovery.
- Led my team in driving the debut of Alegion Control (the biggest launch in the company’s history), a SaaS product that altered our business model to include self-service.
- Managed the integration of deep learning (neural networks) and other forms of ML.
- Developed an ecosystem strategy that landed the nation’s #1 real estate company, Keller Williams.
- Set new standards in UX that grew measured “lovability” by over 3×.
- Authored marketing pieces, sales enablement slicks, and the technical documentation site.
- Established monthly cadence of all-hands product presentations.
- Created “Giveback Team” for charitable events; hosted field day for Akins HS tech students.
Director of Product Management, Humanify (TeleTech)
Humanify was one of the earliest omnichannel contact center applications. After years of mis-set expectations, TeleTech decided to shut down new development, so this job ended in layoffs.
- Developed a realistic business plan and product roadmap for 2017, built around a new app called “Dealer Connect”.
- Commercialized a natural language processing (NLP) acquisition.
- Released “Clarity” mobile app for reference implementations.
- Developed pricing and messaging for “Digital Connect” package.
Sr. Product Manger, WP Engine
WP Engine is one of the world’s two top WordPress hosting providers. I focused on greenfield value-adds for additional competitive advantages.
- Created three new analytics products from inception; performed snout to tail go-to-market.
- With the marketing team, built their top-performing lead-gen component.
- Pioneered customer research process to package and price these products.
Freelance product management/product marketing consultant.
- Spiceworks: Plugged 8.3% gap (or more) in renewing contracts
- Sproutbeat: Drove go-to-market for a major Sproutbeat update with new launch/marketing programs
Pluck was one of the earliest white-label social media platforms. It allowed brands to integrate social features like comments, photo galleries, and reviews into their own sites and apps, and had powerful customization features. Acquired by Demand Media a few months after I joined, and went public (DMD). I remained on the Pluck business line my entire time. (Demand Media would ultimately collapse, dragging Pluck down with it, and my time there ended in layoffs after a failed divestiture.)
- Started in professional services and moved to product management. Quickly advanced to director.
- Built and led a team of 11 (product managers, tech writers, and QA/QE).
Director of Product
- Instrumental in growing retail and brand revenue from $0 to $16+ million.
- Launched 12 major releases with capital features ranging from APIs and SDKs to a complete UI/UX revamp, analytics, and many more. Launched dozens of point releases.
- Led the successful product side of our Forrester Wave debut, earning a compliment about our roadmap and vision in the published Wave itself.
- Re-established customer council with heavy-hitters.
- Helped sales close several deals, with notable road trips to Mattel (won renewal), Assurant (won), B&H Photo (won).
- Temporaily led the professional services team during an executive transition (2014).
- Hosted two webinars (on gamification).
Sr. Technical Product Manager
- See above.
- Additionally, temporarily took over Pluck’s engineering and QA teams after an execturive departure (2012).
Sr. Solutions Engineer
- Onboarded dozens of Pluck customers, performing on-site training and custom coding in various languages. (Very various.)
- Presented at Pluck Live customer conference.
- Developed and co-hosted one of our best-attended webinars (on gamification).
- Established the first international SE meeting cadence; accomplished the alignment of mission and techniques amongst Austin and London offices.
Senior Web Engineer, InCircuit Development Corp.
- Completely revamped an application layer written in ColdFusion without a DRY approach; saved thousands of lines of code and untold time lost to duplicate maintenance.
- Helped in a total agile transition (implemented Scrum).
- Hired and trained a second web developer.
Full-stack web engineer (contract)
- Lead developer on a bespoke system used for J. Ray McDermott’s multimillion-dollar bids. Reduced the cost of developing and tracking bids by 5–10%.
- Modernized and added interactivity to J. Ray McDermott’s corporate web site.
- Refactored more than 100,000-page CBT website for Dow. Reduced surface area for QA and maintenance by one third, lowering TCO.
Web developer (freelance)
Houston area. Part-time designer and developer of “brochureware” websites at a time when that meant lots of
Private trombone teacher for several school districts south of Houston, including Lake Jackson ISD.
- Within a year of starting, my studio was performing as well as the powerhouse Pearland ISD system.
- Wrote my own method book.
- Had sixth graders familiar with fifth position and F♯. (My fellow trombonists will understand this is kind of a big deal.)
Texas A&M–Commerce (trombone performance)